Hive inspection, 9 December. I tried out my new gloves – NBC gloves, $2, trade-me. My students reckon they are peedo or gimp gloves, due to being black and tight rubber stuff. They are rated for chemical warfare, so were more than a match for bees – no stings. They also seem to attract propolis – bee glue – and kept sticking my fingers together. They also can work my phone touch pad, so I could take the piccies.
My phone also seems to attract propolis. I will need to find a phone friendly propolis solvent. Handy thing being a chem teacher, I can dissolve pretty much anything (including you….mwahahahaaaa!).
I couldn’t find the Queen today, but she seemed to bee doing her thing in the top box – I found a bunch of 1mm brood in a very tidy pattern. I think my hive is ready for a super (thats the top box thing that the bees put honey in. It is good to see the top box being used for brood, and most of the frame fully draw out (that means going from the flat foundation wax to full cells about 1cm deep, which can be filled with honey or brood.
There are more and more drones, male bees. They just toddle around looking large and silly, with fat bodies, no stings, and big bug eyes. I suppose they are bugs, but still…
There were a couple of queen cells on a funny shaped frame. The queen cells hang down like a peanut, and are bigger than the rest.
I cleaned off some funky comb, built in the wrong place, and a grub (big wriggly sack of white goo, probably a drone) fell onto the frame top bars. I watched a couple of workers quickly grab the grub, and tenderly drag it away, to give it a new home. Very touching.